At ROMAC FINANCIAL we are committed to protecting the privacy, confidentially, accuracy and security of YOUR personal information. This Personal Information policy spells out our responsibility and your rights as our client, regarding the use and disclosure of personal information.
What is “personal information”?
Personal information is data – oral, written or electronic – about an identifiable individual. It does not include “business card information” of that individual.
Why do we ask for Personal Information?
We ask you for information to establish and service your needs as our client. The Personal Information we ask for depends on the product or service you are requesting.
ROMAC FINANCIAL has adopted the ten privacy principles established by the Canadian Standards Association’s model Code for the Protection of Personal Information.
These 10 Principles form part of the Protection Act that establishes rules governing the collection, use and disclosure of Personal Information:
10 Principles of the Protection Act
All members of THE ROMAC FINANCIAL GROUP are accountable for protecting the confidentiality and security of all Personal Information under their control.
2. Identifying Purposes
The following, lists the purposes for which your Personal Information is being collected :
- Offering and providing insurance and financial products to you
- Establishing and maintaining communications with you
- Providing you with ongoing service
- Verifying your identity and the accuracy of your Personal information
- Determining and facilitating your payment of fees and premiums
- Investigating and paying claims
- Meeting legal, tax and regulatory requirements
- Notifying you or allowing our affiliated companies to notify you of certain products or services offered by us, or our affiliated companies
Your knowledge and consent of our collection, use and disclosure of your personal information is critical. We rely on the following actions by you as indication of your consent to our existing and future personal information practices:
- Your voluntary provision of personal information directly to us or through an insurance broker for the purpose of acquiring an insurance contract or related service (including data previously provided to us)
- Your express consent or acknowledgement contained within a written, verbal or electronic application process
- Your consent solicited by us (or our agent) for a specified purpose
- Your provision of medical and health information (shared ONLY with your consent)
- Your consent given through your authorized representative such as a legal guardian, or a power of attorney
Subject to certain legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice, you may withdraw your consent at any time. We will inform you of the consequences of withdrawing your consent.
In some cases, refusing to provide certain personal information or withdrawing consent for us to collect, use or disclose your data could mean that we cannot provide you with the insurance coverage or other requested products, services or information.
4. Limiting Collection
We will limit the collection of your Personal Information to only those details that are necessary for the purposes identified.
5. Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention
We will only use your Personal Information for the purposes for which it was collected, unless you have consented otherwise, or when it is required or permitted by law. Your Personal Information will be retained as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected, and to meet any legal or regulatory requirements.
We will maintain all Personal Information in our possession in as accurate, complete and up-to-date form as is necessary for the identified purposes.
THE ROMAC FINANCIAL GROUP will protect your Personal Information by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. Safeguards will vary depending on the sensitivity, format, location and storage of the Personal Information.
We will make available to you, information about our policies and practices relating to the management of Personal Information.
We will give you access to your Personal Information at your request, subject to any legal or business restrictions.
10. Challenging Compliance
You may contact us with any questions, concerns or suggestions with respect to our 10 Privacy principles at our Markham address (see left sidebar). THE ROMAC FINANCIAL GROUP will comply with the law to protect the integrity and privacy of both the collector and the provider of personal information.